Washington Park Sucks
I realize that when I write on MetBlogs:Denver, I tend to complain. I complain about fat people on their bikes riding up Lookout Mountain, the fact that we (Denverites) can’t drive, and that Stacey Donaldson won’t return my calls.
But this takes the cake. Are you f—ing kidding about this: Denver police enforcing the 15mph speed limit for cyclists–and rollerbladers!–around Washington Park? Ridiculous.
Here’s why it makes sense.
(1) Bikers go faster than pedestrians. Colliding can cause injury.
(2) Kids play in the park.
(3) Fines are $54 and up, and go to the bottom line.
Here’s why it doesn’t.
(1) Bikers love this park. Its location, tree cover (and, let’s be honest), hard bodies make this an attractive place for those on two wheels.
(2) Bikers will now go faster in Congress Park, on the Cherry Creek Bike Path and other places (like, um, the road!) and there’s a lot less room to move over on a path or shoulder than there was in Wash Park.
(3) Do police expect to patrol this ad infinitum? Hardly. Give it a month and the cyclists will return, with something to prove.
(4) Citing (2), above, under “makes sense.” There are massive places in the center of Wash Park where children as young as two can play and not wonder into a cyclist’s path. C’mon, parents (I’m one, so I can say this)… drop the Budweiser and pay attention.
(5) Denver is consistently ranked as one of the most health conscious cities anywhere. This will have negative effect on future polls. Ten bucks we drop a point. Our citizens will get fatter and fatter as this policy goes on.
(6) Where will I be able to “drink and ride” now?